The Governing Body has a statutory duty to monitor and manage the performance of the Head Teacher on an annual basis. Under the 2012 School Teachers’ Appraisal Regulations, the Governing Body of a maintained school must appoint an external adviser for the purpose of providing it with advice and support in relation to the appraisal of the Head Teacher.
Reading’s School Standards Officers are equipped to provide advice to the Governing body about the performance management of the Head Teacher.
Before the start of each appraisal period for the Head Teacher, the Governing Body must inform the Head Teacher of the standards against which the Head Teacher’s performance in that appraisal period will be assessed and set objectives. The Governing Body should use the current Head Teacher standards to set objectives. The appointed Governors will meet with the Head Teacher during the year to monitor progress towards the objectives set.
Key Service features
• Thorough knowledge of how Reading schools operate
• Excellent knowledge of national and local priorities
• Ability to identify the individual needs of the Head Teacher and organisational goals
• Working to help the governing body develop its capacity to carry out effective performance management
• Evaluation of the needs of all involved and advise on appropriate approaches to meeting those needs as an aspect of on-going governing body activities in relation to Head Teacher performance management.
• The development of organisational capacity for effective performance management.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of the technical and legal formalities of Head Teacher appraisal
• Priorities of performance management
• Translation of activities into performance information
• Incorporation of performance information into management systems