To reduce the risk of injury and ill health from exposure to hazardous substances (chemical & biological).
After completion of the course, candidates should:
Organisational Benefit : To ensure compliance with legal requirements and best health and safety practice.
- Be aware of the legislation that deals with the control of substances that are hazardous to health
- Understand the terms: Very Toxic, Toxic, Harmful, Corrosive, Sensitising and Irritant
- Be aware of biological risks in the workplace
- Be familiar with the relevant Corporate Codes of Practice
- Be able to carry out a risk assessment and to be able to determine appropriate control measures
- Understand the purpose of material safety data sheets
- Understand the purpose and benefits of health surveillance, sampling, monitoring and immunisation
- Be able to identify the need for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and to be familiar with the principals of the correct selection of PPE
Please note this course is not bookable via the SLA website. If you would like to book on this course please visit our website and complete the online application form: www.reading.gov.uk/trainingform. For our Charges and Cancellation policy please visit our website: www.reading.gov.uk/trainingchargingandcancellationpolicy. This course is not available for Early Years PVI. Occasionally, due to unforeseen circumstances, the times and dates advertised for a course may change. In these circumstances we will attempt to give delegates as much notice as possible. Please ensure you provide valid contact details when applying for this course. Course materials will be sent to you before the session via the email address provided on your application form. It is essential that you bring printed copies of the resources with you as you will need to use them on the day.
Staff who may come in to contact with hazardous substances in their workplace.